Real Time Counter

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Do they miss me in Chicago?

Do they miss me in Chicago? - Daisy Buchanan - "The Great Gatsby"


Something about the way Carey Mulligan asks that question in the Baz Luhrmann film adaptation of "The Great Gatsby" is striking. I just happened to be in Chicago and love Fitzgerald at the same time, so add those components together and throw in the desire to sound artsy and wa-bam! Blog post title is found. The formula works, trust me. 

This blog post isn't actually about Chicago. It's not even about me. (Though I throw my love to you Chicago folks!) I wanted to share one of the most compelling pieces of art I've seen in awhile. This is Sia's new music video for "Elastic Heart" featuring Shia LaBeouf and the amazingly haunting Maddie Ziegler. (Aren't we all still recovering from "Chandelier"?) 

So there are many opinions about this video, and many strong ones on top of those. Everyone is entitled to their own interpretation of what this video is saying or where it fits into Sia's storytelling as a songwriter. What brought me in is the use of movement and how it's connected to the song. Each move is dripping with emotion. This set me off into "ugly crying" mode. I laugh about it now but at the time it felt so appropriate haha. If it touches you in that way, you'll have yours as well. 

Such a beautiful video. Check it out and let me know what you think. Let's talk about it...

AND YOU ALL THOUGHT I WOULD POST SOMETHING ABOUT LADY GAGA. Well, I fooled you there. ;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment